Wednesday, May 18, 2011

CPR yeah rigth!!!

About 2 weeks ago there was an activity at church that was going to focus on getting prepared for disasters. And they included teaching us the basics of CPR. This was our instructor from the Red Cross.



Now this got me thinking. Now I'm all for taking these classes but seriously when it comes down to being in a situation like this everything I learned goes out the window!




I say this because I had taken classes like this before but when I needed them I totally forgot everything.




When Natalie was around 4 years old I had taken her one Saturday to work with me. It was a Saturday so only my friend (who was my manager), another male co-worker and I were there and ofcourse Natalie too. Ofcourse Natalie was quite the center of attention. My co-workers kept giving her candy and goodies and Natalie kept running around with them in her mouth. Yes I know, I shouldn't have let her but come on, how many of us don't let that sly once in awhile.




Anyways so in one of the instances she was running back towards me I saw that as she stopped herself harshly, the candy or whatever she was eating (never found out what it was, I'll tell why in a second) got stuck in her throat! She started trying to cough and then gasping. I became so nervous that I kind of paralized and just started saying, "She's choking, she's choking!" That's when my two co-workers ran over to see what was going on. But they just stood there too! That's when Nati started to change color, like a bluish purplish color, that's when I really freaked out and started telling my male co-worker "Don Eli help me, help me!" Well can you believe that he froze too and didn't do anything. That's when I finally snapped out of it (but ofcourse couldn't think of everything I had learned before) and started to slap her back, stick my finger in her mouth, and then I sorta punched her in her stomach. Yup, I feel so ashamed to say it but I basically semi punched her in her stomach and that's when whatever was stuck got unstuck. She finally took a breath but before I could snatch whatever was in her mouth Miss Natalie swallowed it like nothing again! She returned to her normal color and she was like nothing happened. Not one tear not anything. She went right back to playing, with nothing in her mouth ofcourse!




So yeah, I hope this time I learn things a little bit better. So that next time I'm faced with an emergency I can react way better! OR atleast hope that I'm surrounded with more prepared and helpful people!



No comments:

Post a Comment