Friday, July 24, 2015

Our Own Titanic Moment

So what started as a small camping trip between my sister and my family, turned into a full on brother and sister camping trip. I was able to arrange two days of camping for my whole family. Well my parents weren't able to make it but my brother's family and my sisters' families came. And it was awesome! I hope it was the start of a great tradition. We went to Turkey Run State Park in Indiana.
 

My brother was the breakfast chef. He made himself some delicious Huevos Rancheros.


Here's the whole gang.


And we come to the reason of my title. We all decided it would be fun to go canoeing. Yup even though only 2 of us had done it before. And yes we thought it would be a good idea to do it with 15 kids, one of them 2 years old. Hey we were all excited and they literally just gave us the tools and threw us out there. What could possibly go wrong?



I mean look how beautiful it was out there. We were all sailing along. All 8 canoes.




And then all H E double hockey sticks broke loose. Basically a couple of us where doing good and where way ahead. After realizing the rest was way back we decided to stop at a little island to wait for them. We had put my 12 year old daughter with one of my sisters and her daughter. Big mistake. Both are nervous people. Anyways we waited and waited and waited. About 30 minutes passed when we finally see them coming. Next thing we see is one canoe crashing on a rock, then the next one crashing with them and next thing you know everyone is in the water panicking. One canoe is floating down the river and we're trying to catch it. Then one canoe is wrapped around the rock and everyone is stranded by the rock and the water is rushing. Long story short. It took us like 2 to 3 hours to get everyone safe back to land. The funny thing was the water was barely up to hour hips and it wasn't as strong or as bad as we thought. Yet it was our first time and we were clue less to the situation. In the end we were to swim back and walk back, something we didn't knew was possible so we were drowning in a cup of water. No pun intended! LOL. It ended up being an expensive canoe trip but at the same time such an awesome adventure we will never forget and we'll tell it over and over and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment