Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cleaning = Peace

This past Saturday we finally had a free day with nothing to do or any places to be and without planning it we ended up cleaning our living space. As many of you know at the moment we are still living with my parents. So our "home" is one room where we somehow stuff all our belongings needed to survive. Now I clean or better yet pickup everyday but what we did this time was deep clean.

Day after day I would live with some amount of stress or anxiousness of seeing how our room seemed to get smaller and smaller as more things made it into our room. Even though I would "clean it" I knew that I wasn't really "CLEANING IT". And looking at the growing amount of clutter made me not want to even try too. It also came to my mind that the Holy Ghost "can't dwell in unholy places". That includes our homes. We must keep them clean and orderly so that the spirit can dwell in our homes and bless them with peace.

So this particular Saturday morning I thought to myself, "Why not finally tackle this? We have nothing better to do today than put our room in order." And that's exactly what we did. Funny side fact, as a coincidence my parents were deep cleaning their room too! Too funny.

We were able to take out so many un-needed things that we donated and also had plenty of things we weren't using and weren't going to be needed for awhile so we took them to storage. We deeply organized our clothes, movies, things, ect and dusted every inch. The end result was wonderful. I stood by the door starring at our newly cleaned and organized room and felt (the cliche) like a ton had been lifted off my shoulders. BUT really that's how it felt. It felt so peaceful to sit in the room, it looked brighter and bigger. I felt the anxiousness and stress dissapear! That night I slept like a baby!

I'm happy to report that so far we have been able to keep it up. Cleaning has been a breeze. So much easier and faster to pick up, and when I'm done it actually looks cleaned and picked up. But most importantly I know that it is worthy of having the spirit dwell in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment